• -[ EPIC MEMBER ]-
    • Blogdude's Various Reviews
  • Game: RE4 or MGS2
  • Genre: RPG
  • Platform: PC/Steam
  • Studio: Inti Creates
Re: Wii U
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2015, 01:13:47 PM »
Yeah, I've passed on many an original Classic controller at yardsales, just because I have a GameCube controller I use for my Wii for most games that support it, and I can't stand how cramped the non-pro one is.

Offline twobitcoder

• Administrator
  • -[ EPIC MEMBER ]-
    • jharbour.com
  • Game: Adventure
  • Platform: Atari
  • Studio: Activision
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2015, 11:34:10 AM »
Well I think the Classic controller (SNES) is brilliant! Sure it cramped but that's how it was back in 1992. :) I love how they squeezed dual analog sticks onto a controller just a big bigger than the old SNES pad. I do use the Pro all the time, though we have 2 Classic pads and enjoy them when playing Super Mario World.

My enthusiasm for the virt console library is that so many great classic Nintendo games are on there, can be played with the Wii U, support the old Wiimotes and Classic controllers (as well as the new dedicated ones for the U), and they're priced fairly. $10 for each of the old Castlevania games might be costly if you plan to buy 50 of them. But, for an older gamer who doesn't want to screw with an old NES/SNES/N64/GB/GBC/GBA/DS (did I miss any?) just browsing the U menu for which one you want is well worth $10. I mean, think about how much trouble it is to set up all of those old consoles if you want to play them.

I did that a while back, and they got used so little that I took it all down, boxed them up, put them in storage for safe keeping. Now, I'm more interested in playing classics like Namco Museum, Konami Classics, Atari Anthology, etc, rather than using the actual hardware. Oh, the old hardware is a joy to play with, but only for novelty, not for serious gaming. I like my new controllers and 1080p, even if the games are scaled up.

So, these old games are terrific, and worth the price. Some are in the $5-10 range. I wouldn't buy them just to sit in my library, I would play each one quite a bit, and only buy one per week or so? Every 2 weeks? That's not too bad. The cost of a movie ticket.

Offline Axlyon

• -[ EPIC MEMBER ]-
    • Blogdude's Various Reviews
  • Game: RE4 or MGS2
  • Platform: PC/Steam
  • Studio: Inti Creates
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2015, 09:19:21 PM »
Well I think the Classic controller (SNES) is brilliant! Sure it cramped but that's how it was back in 1992. :) I love how they squeezed dual analog sticks onto a controller just a big bigger than the old SNES pad. I do use the Pro all the time, though we have 2 Classic pads and enjoy them when playing Super Mario World.

My enthusiasm for the virt console library is that so many great classic Nintendo games are on there, can be played with the Wii U, support the old Wiimotes and Classic controllers (as well as the new dedicated ones for the U), and they're priced fairly. $10 for each of the old Castlevania games might be costly if you plan to buy 50 of them. But, for an older gamer who doesn't want to screw with an old NES/SNES/N64/GB/GBC/GBA/DS (did I miss any?) just browsing the U menu for which one you want is well worth $10. I mean, think about how much trouble it is to set up all of those old consoles if you want to play them.

I did that a while back, and they got used so little that I took it all down, boxed them up, put them in storage for safe keeping. Now, I'm more interested in playing classics like Namco Museum, Konami Classics, Atari Anthology, etc, rather than using the actual hardware. Oh, the old hardware is a joy to play with, but only for novelty, not for serious gaming. I like my new controllers and 1080p, even if the games are scaled up.

So, these old games are terrific, and worth the price. Some are in the $5-10 range. I wouldn't buy them just to sit in my library, I would play each one quite a bit, and only buy one per week or so? Every 2 weeks? That's not too bad. The cost of a movie ticket.
You're right, compared to the cost of a movie ticket, that's not too bad.
Well, I might find myself in possession of a Wii U and an Xbox One if I can get the funds together for them, as I have games in for review on those systems I need to finish up.