Author Topic: Black Art of Xbox Mods  (Read 2171 times)

Offline twobitcoder

• Administrator
  • -[ EPIC MEMBER ]-
    • jharbour.com
  • Game: Adventure
  • Genre: RPG
  • Platform: Atari
  • Studio: Activision
Black Art of Xbox Mods
« on: October 29, 2012, 09:53:24 AM »
This book was published in 2005 by Sams, featuring some very serious Xbox console hacking photo tutorials! Included are chapters on choosing a modchip, installing a modchip, installing new BIOS bootloaders, identifying the Xbox hardware revision, upgrading to a larger hard drive (such as going from the stock 8GB to a 300GB!), and running apps like media center and EvolutionX among others. The purpose of this book was to show how to upgrade the aging Xbox to make it more interesting long term, not to learn how to steal/pirate games. The chapter on upgrading the HD is perhaps the most useful in the entire book (requires a modchip). For details, see the book detail page on the main site (www.jharbour.com) in the list of books.

Unfortunately, I do not think it is possible to find a Xenium or other Xbox modchip anymore. Perhaps they are out there. But at the time the book went to print, you could buy a modchip pretty easily. I believe many of those sites were shut down by US authorities or due to cease & desist orders by the console makers.

I still have an extra Xenium modchip... I removed it from my 1.6 revision Xbox to take that one back to retail, and have my highly modded Xbox as well.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:19:42 PM by twobitcoder »

Offline Axlyon

• -[ EPIC MEMBER ]-
    • Blogdude's Various Reviews
  • Game: RE4 or MGS2
  • Platform: PC/Steam
  • Studio: Inti Creates
Re: About This Book
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 10:03:58 AM »
Funny thing, they (DealXtreme, GBATemp, and other modding sites) sell stealth chips, solder-free ones that just clip in and go. Nowadays there are highly advanced softmod guides that replace the system software with a custom one and can access an upgraded HDD. Come to think of it, there are GameCube modchips that have USB sockets in them that allow you to load homebrew from external drives and the FreeMCBoot (Which is what I'm looking into) can allow you to run homebrew from the PS2 HDD and such, the modding community has all kinds of neat stuff, which is why I got a PS2 itfp, I hear there's even a DVR homebrew program! as time goes on, more and more mods become prevalent and more people look into exploiting them. I'm stoked on how much cool stuff there is, and that's without emulators!

Offline twobitcoder

• Administrator
  • -[ EPIC MEMBER ]-
    • jharbour.com
  • Game: Adventure
  • Platform: Atari
  • Studio: Activision
Re: Black Art of Xbox Mods
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 02:12:09 PM »
Here was a clear case mod lit up with cold-cathode lights. It was fun. I still have all this stuff in a drawer..