Author Topic: Changing the level Editor for my own game idea  (Read 650 times)

Offline Lachzc

• Visitor
  • Genre: RPG
  • Platform: PC/Steam
Changing the level Editor for my own game idea
« on: August 28, 2016, 10:26:29 PM »
Hi :)

I am using The level editor in the sources file and I can't change the bmp or image so i can use it for my own game.

I have tried and I can't do it

Any help?

Offline twobitcoder

• Administrator
  • -[ EPIC MEMBER ]-
    • jharbour.com
  • Game: Adventure
  • Platform: Atari
  • Studio: Activision
Re: Changing the level Editor for my own game idea
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 05:02:44 PM »
OH! I see you already found the forum. Haha. I'll just paste my email here so we can continue the convo here instead.

Okay, that's a tough one but you can definitely do it. I haven't looked at the level editor in probably 5 years now... That would be a good new feature but that editor was just for a "book game", a learning exercise. So, although I feel those two books (VB and C# for Teens) went much further than necessary, and it was crazy fun doing that, some things didn't make the cut. Like, being able to change the tile palette.

You can do it manually inside Visual Basic's form editor. Just replace the Image. Make it exactly like the old one but with new tiles added.

Do you know how to export the tile palette? Okay, your new one should look like that when you insert it into the Image of the PictureBox. In VB, you can literally "paste" the image into there if you have it in the clipboard (via Paint, for instance). Or, use the Image property to load the bitmap file from disk.

And, at this point, my memory is failing on details... I can open up the sources and look at this if it's a huge problem for you. Wouldn't it be cool if you could just add new tiles individually? I based the idea of the editor on MAPPY but wanted more properties just for this particular game (you know like the collision and event names you can type into a tile and so on).

So let me know how it goes and I'll do what I can to help you figure this out. Try first just messing with the Image of the palette. It's just that, a tiled bitmap. You can paste a new one in.

Offline Lachzc

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 09:23:19 PM »
Hi Thanks for getting Back I have a few More issues too. For one map is bigger than one palette... What do I Do?

Offline twobitcoder

• Administrator
  • -[ EPIC MEMBER ]-
    • jharbour.com
  • Game: Adventure
  • Platform: Atari
  • Studio: Activision
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 05:14:08 PM »
Remember the editor and the game engine supports PORTAL tiles that will teleport the character to any other location.

What do you mean the map is bigger than one palette? Add new tiles to the palette, save as a new separate bitmap image, and then import that into the editor (using VB Forms to open the form and examine the palette PictureBox).

Offline Lachzc

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 08:08:50 PM »
My game map that I want to do is bigger than one palette can I add more than one (if so what is the code) can i edit the Palette and add more columns?