Author Topic: Where to find information on how to develop a MMORPG/network?  (Read 4927 times)

Offline twobitcoder

• Administrator
  • -[ EPIC MEMBER ]-
    • jharbour.com
  • Game: Adventure
  • Genre: RPG
  • Platform: Atari
  • Studio: Activision
Re: Where to find information on how to develop a MMORPG/network?
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 10:32:34 PM »
I had to pay a mandatory $80 e-book fee for every course while working on my master's. They are all gone now, of course. No way to recoup that cost by selling used textbooks when they have DRM. It's a scam to make $. I like when publishers put a deep discount on the e-book. But, long term, I think retail e-book sales will increase way beyond what we've ever seen with print books. I'm all over it now... Kindle Touch, Kindle for PC, Kindle for Android, Kindle for iPad, I love it. I'm going through Joe Haldeman, Anne McCaffrey, Greg Bear, and others. I read much faster on the kindle than with a paperback. something to do with the way you turn pages, it's a faster read for me personally.

Offline andyadams

• Visitor
  • Genre: Card
  • Platform: PC/Steam
Re: Where to find information on how to develop a MMORPG/network?
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 12:47:39 AM »
I am a programmer of isbn barcode game and recently i want to design a game of isbn barcode using c#.net.

I'm making a 2D, top down MMO game. ATM I can connect a player to a server and they get the map data from a DB. They can move around and hit some stuff and if they move near a viewport edge, the server sends new data etc.

Even a few players can do this, but since I don't have an, lets call it, "update manager" which tells the players where they are and the DB that the map has been altered. It's just a read only game at the moment.

My idea is, to tell the server where a player is and how big his viewport is. Then if any other player is in this viewport, the server will distribute the updates to each other player.

So I wouldn't have to tell the whole world what's going on.

The problem, however, is the ping.

If I have a ping of ~300ms, every other player would probably "jump" over the map, and not move smoothly. I could keep this synchronized with vector clocks, but it would still lag.

Also, how to keep the players from cheating? All ideas I got, don't really work. The only "safe" thing seems to be to calculate the game on the server and client, then throw away all data when the calculations are wrong. But this seems rather excessive to me.