Author Topic: Beginning Game Programming 3rd edition  (Read 695 times)

Offline Bongoman000

• Visitor
  • Platform: PC/Steam
Beginning Game Programming 3rd edition
« on: September 16, 2016, 05:54:49 PM »
I read an earlier post somewhere that you were able to compile your anti-virus game in VS2013? If true do know if the rest of the content from the book works also. I upgraded to VS2015 and now that I started going through the book, I made it to chap.4 I am getting linker errors from d3d9.lib and d3dx9.lib.. I follow instructions from of. 101 with no luck. Do you maybe have any suggestions?

Offline twobitcoder

• Administrator
  • -[ EPIC MEMBER ]-
    • jharbour.com
  • Game: Adventure
  • Genre: RPG
  • Platform: Atari
  • Studio: Activision
Re: Beginning Game Programming 3rd edition
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 11:39:20 AM »
Sorry, I didn't see your post. FWIW here's a late reply.

The 4th edition came out in 2014 with support for VS 2013:

http://jharbour.com/forum/index.php?board=7.0

I don't know anything about later versions of VS working with any of my old code but if the compiler is similar to 2013, then it should work. I expect it would, 2015, 2017, whatever, as long as it still supports the DirectX SDK 2010 which was the "last known good" version of DirectX before it was bundled into the Windows SDK a few years ago. I'm sure there's a copy of DX 2010 still available at Microsoft since there are legacy concerns. Some studios were still using that SDK until recently (such as Firaxis).

Offline twobitcoder

• Administrator
  • -[ EPIC MEMBER ]-
    • jharbour.com
  • Game: Adventure
  • Genre: RPG
  • Platform: Atari
  • Studio: Activision
Re: Beginning Game Programming 3rd edition
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:42:05 AM »
I read an earlier post somewhere that you were able to compile your anti-virus game in VS2013? If true do know if the rest of the content from the book works also. I upgraded to VS2015 and now that I started going through the book, I made it to chap.4 I am getting linker errors from d3d9.lib and d3dx9.lib.. I follow instructions from of. 101 with no luck. Do you maybe have any suggestions?

That specific problem is addressed in the 4th edition. You have to use the DirectX 2010, not the Windows SDK. There are some project-level settings to make in Visual C++ to direct the linker to look at those files before it gets to the built-in Windows SDK files (which includes the latest DirectX).

This stuff gets harder and harder to keep working so many years after release. Microsoft keeps changing things just for the sake of change without making any improvements. That's typical, to be expected, not something that bothers me, but it is problematic for anyone reading one of those books. I'm sure there are newer books published by others by now. I won't be doing any more editions of this book.